Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thursday Mornings

Even before I quit my job, I started picking up trash between the Jumping Bean's (JB) school and home. Thursday trash sweep has come to be my ritual and my contribution to the health and well-being of my community and yours.

This morning's sweep was full of fall blessings and the winter silence. For the first time in weeks, I felt a moment of elusive peace. I could breathe.

Where are you finding peace and room to breathe in the descending energy of the fall?


Thursday Mornings

cold crinkle of a bag between my fingers
there is me, the calling of the crows, and the stillness in the wind
dried summer foliage reveals last year's soda bottles,
on-the-go lunches, midnight parties--heard more than seen

An orange flash of cellophane winks at me from the fog-coated grass
my thumb meets its fellows and the dewed plastic
reminds my fingers that it's getting cooler on Thursday mornings

I stand for a moment to let the distant rush
of the morning pass through me
I breathe in the silent wind and let out my last breath,
until the next one comes with no thought of mine

the post-Halloween trail of sugar dreams
peeking out from the leaves. they wait for me.
squirrels run with the last of summer's bounty
afraid I've come for their breakfast. i only take what's left behind

No comments:

Post a Comment