Friday, June 14, 2013

The Little Green Notebook

I built a meditation and writing practice* into the day. It's working as a way of reflection and a way to work through word block.

I bought this composition notebook last year to take notes for our trip to Germany:


It's been a few different things since then
Jumping Bean Poetry Requests
Doodle Paper

Most recently the little green notebook has become my meditation journal and part of my journey to find out what comes after quitting a high powered well-paid corporate job.

Meditation & Writing Practice

What you'll need
  • Notebook (Let go of the screen and the keyboards for a while.)
  • Pen or pencil you like the flow of (I've been using gel pens because I love the way the glide on the paper
  • Timer
  • Stapler (optional)
  • A jar or container full of writing prompts/questions. (I took these from books that inspire me, and questions that came up as I'm reading. If you are writing a manuscript you might write down questions you would ask your characters or plot questions.)
What to do
Step 1: Lay out our supplies
Step 2: Draw a question from your jar
Step 3: Read the question and write it down
Step 4: Set the timer (I recommend starting with 10-15 minutes)
Step 5: (optional) Get comfortable: (Lay of the floor, sit in a comfy chair)
Close your eyes and allow yourself to wander/wonder into the question until the timer chimes.
Step 6: (optional) Set the timer again (for the same amount of time you wandered)
Step 7: Write whatever comes up
Step 8: (optional) Staple your question to the beginning of your writing or put it back in your jar.

I haven't kept a journal--writing or otherwise for quite sometime. I'm pleasantly surprised how easy using this practice has pushed me over computer word blanks and has given me a new thirst for both writing, studying, and asking questions.

After two weeks is I want to write longer than my 15 minutes. So I do. My favorite meditation position is on my back with my heads out in happy sleeping baby pose to open my heart. What I write about isn't always what I ask about and that's okay. I enjoy surprising myself. I still have no idea what's next.

How do allow your words to flow?


*This practice is inspired by Writing Begins with the Breath by Laraine Herring

No comments:

Post a Comment