Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Poetry Answer to NaNoWriMo

It's National Novel Writing Month and I am not a novel writer. To support my novel writing friends, I write a poem a day for the month of November focusing on the season or on gratitude.

How do you support your friends, partners and loves in your circles?

Detangling
I study the mess of string and hooks and bits
sitting in my lap
"It will take weeks to untangle it, Mom."
I smile and find an end

After a few hours
I get out my back up plan...
A needle from blanket
that I was to finish last year

I weave and move the strings
through one another
wondering how I will ever
loosen the mass of knots in the middle

Hour by hour my needle and I
find our way until there are only
straight strings and hooks
Three or four hours, not weeks.

You make them into
something amazing that
only a child would think to create
And I? I was your detangler.

No comments:

Post a Comment