Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sweet Goodbyes and Happy Hellos

I bought a new treadmill.

It's once in a lifetime event on that list of things I never thought I'd do like
  • Buying a new car
  • Having a natural birth
  • Learning a language that looks nothing like English
  • Being a mother
  • Getting a college degree
  • Seeing an ocean
  • Living in a another country.
All of these moments were full of excitement and sadness.
I'm letting go of a faithful friend. The relationship I've had with my worn Old Girl is something straight out of the Tao Te Ching: "To empty is to become full. To wear out is to be renewed." I thanked her for gift she is: sanity in a place with none. With tears, the shiny new Smooth Operator has taken residence in my Old Girl's place. The Old Girl is folded up and ready for new home.

Tonight consider the Smooth Operator has come into your life and what Old Girl you let go of to make space for him.

Last Ride
Patience
No asking
Content
A brisk 10
A fast 20
A    long    slow    50
Slowly today, my friend
I've not much to ask
Only this last ride
Steeped in
Comfortable cheeps
Companionable chirps
Stubborn inclines
Wandering wisdom
Yes, Old Girl, we still fly

No comments:

Post a Comment