Sunday, November 6, 2011

Time Lost

Time. I have an obsession with clock time. 40 hours a week. Time to get up. Time to go to bed. Time to exercise. Time to eat. Never enough time. Practice 30 minutes every day. Time and no ambition for the never ending to do list. I have a love/hate relationship with the clock. I stopped wearing a watch, and still I know the time. The small shuffling steps this morning at 4:30 AM is another reminder of the time:  Lost sleep and gained time.

Here's a song from the Shadowboxers that serves as a reminder to let go of time. Losing time can be quite pleasant.



Today, let go of time. Get lost in the woods or in your favorite thing (writing, cooking, puzzling, reading, people watching). Live by the rising and setting of the sun. Eat when you are hungry. Sleep when you are sleepy. What happens?

Time

The sun turns
Yellow and red maples to gold
Leaves one by one fall
Buoyed like butterflies
On the shifting breeze
Covering the still green carpet below
Breath held
Suspends time
Delighting in your furrowed brow
Recreating Earth
By color
By number
By direction
Stream through seconds,
Minutes
Hours
Days
Full rotation in
Full rotation out
Breath regained

The clock's been wound

Closed eyes
Feel the warmed gold
in the day


3 comments:

  1. It's so nice to forget time when outside! We had a beautiful day here and I might not have lost track of time but I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! you've been busy. This (sadly) is my first time to visit your blog and I must say I'm impressed. I love the touch of nature, the friendly feel, and the wonderful words you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took my own opportunity to lose time this morning. I was up with the sun and wandered into the woods..woodpeckers, blue jays, cardinals, robins, sparrows, hawks, crows, deer, leaves. I love these mornings!

    ReplyDelete